Tuesday, October 03, 2006

It ain't easy

You'd think that signing on would be an easy option. Like falling off a log, digesting jelly or watching telly. It is not. To get to the position where you are in receipt of the dole is actually bloody hard. It takes sheer determination, and several hankies for there will be tears. Take it from me.
Oddly, I have come to admire people who manage to sign on. While I hope the axe of unemployment doesn't fall on you, here is a handy tip if you decide to try for Jobseeker's Allowance.
Expect to fail. Yes, to fail even to rate as unemployed never mind that you are unemployed. But, hang in there. Perseverence often pays off. The first written communication sent by the Jobcentre about my claim stated: 'We cannot pay you Jobseeker's Allowance.' How so very definite that sounds; it's enough to make you throw up your hands in despair and rush to the nearest B&Q for a shelf-filling position.
To appeal this decision, I was advised to obtain form GL24. By then I'd already filled in a slew of forms, so I wasn't keen to hunt down any more. Two weeks later, a second letter arrived to say that I would indeed begin to receive Jobseeker's Allowance because: 'We have looked at your claim again following a recent change,' (no info on the 'change').
See what I mean?
More tips to follow...

No comments: