Saturday, March 17, 2007

Cheers!

I keep hearing that increasingly we are buying products not from need but in order to establish meaning in our lives and to help define us. Of course, on one level, I understand this. But, it’s silly to expect a new this or that to tell you or anyone else about who you really are.

Anyway, today I walked to my local greengrocer’s and there I purchased one large courgette, three English apples, a pound of Edward’s, a box of blueberries, large leek, couple of red onions, bunch of spring onions, large field mushroom, sprouting broccoli, an avocado, pound of tomatoes, two bunches of watercress and a small red cabbage. Total cost £8.24. Everything came in brown paper bags.

I don’t know what that says about me, but the purchases were made because I need to eat and not as a solution to an ontological crisis.

Well, on a different note, let’s raise our glasses to the happy news that the minimum hourly wage is to be increased by 17 pence. Hurrah.

No comments: